A Garden Beginning

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Thinking, and Sitting















Now that snow is here to stay at The Arboretum, almost all of my work is done on a computer (suddenly it’s a desk job). I have mixed feelings about it. I like making interpretive signs (that’s what I do all day) because it exercises my writing, art, research, and computer skills and each sign is different. I can be creative. However, in combination with spending my free time writing, working with pastels, reading, and searching for a job, this brain work is burning up my creativity and my ability to stare at one thing for so long. I need physical exercise and a steady flow of inspiration. I’m tired of thinking.

Tomorrow is the last day I have to work on Chapter 1 before moving on to Chapter 2. I have made progress, and I think the plot is becoming more and more interesting and at least one of my characters is better developed (mostly in my head, but also kind of on paper), but the writing is still choppy and 95% feels uninspired. I need to give writing more time and effort. Simple as that. Eventually, I’m hoping my brain will make a breakthrough and will start drooling prose instead of spitting half-thoughts. I’m thinking that I need to do writing exercises each day before working on my book. I’m going to look to an old classic for help: Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg.

3 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,
Good job with your resolutions. I am once again finding your blog to be inspirational. I still haven't come up with my New Year's resolution but it will probably go something like this; look more into studying abroad, apply for scholarships, relax a little (okay, relax a lot), and to try having a life outside of school. Well I'll be sure to check your blog again and see how ur writing is going. I am very curious as to what ur book will be about. Good luck with, as Iman would say, the brain farts. (: -Maria

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that novelists write in pieces, put them in order, and then glued them with a transition :)

Just have to tease, anyway, I'm jealous of your aparent ability to write and can't wait to read what you have.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Ryann Pinnegar said...

Excellent choice of an old classic my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home