A Garden Beginning

Sunday, December 31, 2006

2007: The Year of the Book

New Year's is a good time to let go of remorse and move on to resolutions.

















Remorse: Since Thanksgiving, my goal of writing an half hour each day was not met. The writing was off and on. I did have a nice time with my family and I have been doing a bit of writing for The Arboretum (on the bright side).

Resolutions: to have a first draft by the end of the year and to spend at least 2 hours a week drawing with pastels.

Two days ago I mapped out a plan to write 11 chapters by July. My first deadline is January 10th to have chapter 1 fleshed out. I'm giving myself only a week and a half because this chapter is already well on its way. I'm also implementing a new strategy for this year. Lindy Mars at lindymars.blogspot.com is also writing a book this year and we will keep each other going. Lindy is working on her writing calendar to coincide with my deadlines so that we can given each other more support.

Other things to look forward to this year:

1. A trip to Alaska
2. Going to Yellowstone or another amazing place in the west with family
3. Working on writing in Humboldt County for a few weeks sometime after Alaska
4. Learning about and, if I'm feeling crazy enough, move to South Africa to study plants and write.

I finished a new book just out called the Writing Coach by Jack Hart. It is one of the best books on writing I've read and I highly recommend it. I'm pumped up and ready for the new year.

4 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your pumped up!! Keep up the writing!!

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Ryann Pinnegar said...

Michael, you are amazing. I think about writing almost every day, but am afraid to sit down and do it. Afraid, I suppose, of letting myself be myself, do something I love, and afraid that I won't be able to stop once I start. Is it ironic to be afraid of what we most desire? You are my second star on the right, I'm following you. Keep shining until I get there.
Love Ryann

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Gardener of La Mancha said...

My struggle is that I can't get "myself" down on paper. My writing has no voice and no flow. I sit down to write, but it is a real struggle because the pay off hasn't been that great so far. Ryann, don't be afraid to be yourself. I would love to write constantly, to want to write constantly. I make time for projects, but am creatively frustrated and lazy. It will take time, but I'm determined to be productve. Take care. I know you don't have a lot of time since you're in school, but hang on. Someday we'll both get there.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What! South Africa! Why am I first hearing about this here? I hope you'll alow visiters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home